Our mission is to provide individuals with
opportunities to enhance the
quality of their lives.
Our vision is to break the cycle of poverty for our
children and families.
Established in 1896, Neighborhood House was the first settlement house in Kentucky. Over 119 years later, we are a community center that serves children and families living in Portland and surrounding low-income neighborhoods.
- Poverty among our families (45%) and children (55%) exceeds both the national average and the rates in the poorest counties in Kentucky (2010 census data).
- Over 40% of our families earn less than $15,000 per year.
- 36% of adults in our community do not have a high school diploma.
Neighborhood House is particularly unique in that we provide educationally focused programs for all generations. We are meeting Life Needs, providing Life Skills, and inspiring Life Dreams.
We are providing quality programs and services every day that are impacting the lives of individuals and families. Our focus is to help our children and their parents dream of a brighter future and teach the life skills needed to achieve these dreams.
- 100% of our preschoolers are graduating to kindergarten ready to succeed (compared to 55% in Jefferson County), a vital step in their future educational success).
- Research shows that low-income students are on average three grades behind their middle class peers. Our youth are gaining ground academically which also builds their self-confidence and commitment to education.
- We are preparing our youth for success in college and career. We have high school graduates who are attending University of Kentucky, Simmons College, Trine University, Jefferson Community Technical College, and University of Louisville to name a few. Many of our youth are the first members of their family to attend college!
- Our parents are setting and achieving goals that are strengthening their families and building stability at home.
- Our senior adults reporting stable or improved health that supports independent living and an enhanced quality of life.
This vital work is made possible by all of us working as a team – dedicated and professional staff, strong leadership and valued donors and volunteers. Together we can change lives, transform our community and positively impact the future of our families and our city.
Learn more about Neighborhood House